Monday 15 March 2021

Recipes from my kitchen I MURI GHONTO

In this series "Recipes from my kitchen", I am going to share recipes that I make. These are tested over time and easy to cook. I must say that none of them are authentic preparation. All the recipes have been tweaked to prepare it fast and easy.

Here it is

My favorite, MURI GHONTO



MURI GHONTO is a Bengali dish. It is made from fish head (Rohu, Katla) with lentil or rice. I am going to share a recipe with rice.

Lets Begin!!

Ingredients:

The measurements suffice for 2 adults.

Fish head (Rohu, katla): 500gms

Rice, it tastes better with Goinbhog rice but here I am using normal Sona masuri, you can also use Basmati.

Spices: Caradamon , clove, pepper, bay leaf and one stick of Cinnamon

Ground spices: Cumin powder, jeera powder, garam masala, 

Turmeric

Mustard oil

Roasted groundnuts (15-16)

Cashew and raisins  (a handfull mix of both)

Ghee and a pinch of sugar

Green chilli

OPTIONAL: You may add potatoes, I don't like potatoes so I avoid using them

1. We start by marinating the fish in salt and turmeric. (half tea spoon of each)



2. Heat mustard oil (round 4 tablespoon) and fry the fish over medium to high heat for a total of 5-6 minutes till they start looking brown and crispy. 



3. Keep it aside.

4. Soak rice in water. I have taken 1 cup of rice and soaked it for 15 minutes.



4. In a pressure cooker, I add the same oil that I use to fry the fish and add Caradamon, clove, pepper and bay leaf. 3-4 cardamon, clove and pepper and one bay leaf. Saute it on medium heat for 2 minutes till you can spell the spices. Add green chilli.



5. Now drain water from the rice. Ensure there is little to no water and put the rice in pressure cooker and mix it around. At this point add turmeric and salt to taste. Add Cumin powder, jeera powder and cook it on low flame for about 2 minutes.



6. Now add the fish head, give it to good mix. Add cashew, raisins and groundnuts. Add 3 cups of water. Use the same cup used for measuring rice. 

7. Let it cook on medium heat for around 10-12 minutes (3 whistles). Let the pressure cooker cool down.

8. Open the pressure cooker when it is completely depressurized and put the gas on low flame. Stir the rice around once and add 1 table spoon of ghee, teaspoon of garam masala and a pinch of sugar.



Enjoy your meal. I like eating Murir Ghonto just like that, it is a complete meal in itself.




Note: The measuring cup (yellow) and the serving plate are from Artisans of Banjara. Go check them out for ceramics and handcrafted cloths. 




No comments:

Post a Comment